Your message is too short
Your message is spammy
» »

Burnt market: Ekiti ex-speaker condemns selective compensations

The All Progressives Congress in Ekiti State has written to the National Emergency Management Agency to compensate victims of fire that gutted Erekesan market, Ado Ekiti, recently.

No fewer than 50 shops and two residential buildings, located within the Oja Oba market in Ado Ekiti, were burnt as the crisis between drivers and Hausa traders escalated.

In the letter, a former Speaker and governorship aspirant, Femi Bamisile, urged the Director General of NEMA, Alhaji Sanni Sidi, to give relief materials to mitigate the effects on victims.

He, however, criticised the state government for allegedly excluding some victims from its compensations, describing the action as “wicked and unpatriotic.”

The former speaker spoke during an assessment tour of the market after giving free petrol to 250 commercial motorcyclists in continuation of his monthly programme.

He said, “President Muhammadu Buhari’s government is basically for the poor masses. We won’t allow you to suffer just because your means of livelihood was burnt down by fire.

“I want to assure that within the next 30 days the reliefs will come. Our party would have done this earlier, but for the fact that the state government had publicised that you had been given compensations. This deception shows failure of governance and we shall address it.

“I have seen your pains and I have faith Buhari’s government to do the needful. Mr President is different from other previous government. He runs a people-oriented programme and we are sure that the FG shall put smiles on your faces soon.”

Two of the victims, Mrs Tijani Hafsat and Alhaja Taibat Bilau, who lost about N7m property to the inferno, said they did not benefit from the compensations of the state government.

Related Article

Posted By Bobricky On 09:06 Sun, 06 Sep 2015

Comments:0 || Views:

Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article